- Wikimedia Commons
- Rose with the Cavaliers in 2017
It’s not easy to bring a bunch of NBA fans together with teams like the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers holding fierce rivalries. But all of that was put on pause last night after Derrick Rose was able to put a smile on everyone’s face achieving an unexpected career-high 50 points, last night against in a tight win over the Utah Jazz.
The Minnesota Timberwolves were not necessarily expecting to win with Jimmy Butler and Jeff Teague sitting out with minor injuries. This meant Derrick Rose was moved to starting point-guard and made sure not to disappoint.
Derrick Rose played 41 minutes, more than any other player, and put up a stat line of 50 points, six assists and four rebounds. Despite his offensive success, it was ultimately his clutch defense that secured the win for Minnesota.
With the game only at a three-point difference, Dante Exum received the ball for the Jazz in the corner to tie the game, but Rose had other plans as he leaped perfectly for the shot-block, putting the icing on the cake to a wholesome basketball night.
To say Rose’s career has had its ups and downs is understatement. After winning MVP in 2011, consistent injuries left fans wondering if they would ever see the dominant force that Rose was in his younger years, ever again.
Rose’s 50 points are the fourth most scored by an NBA player so far this season.
5 things to think about:
1. With Teague coming back, will Tom Thibodeau still keep Rose on the bench?
2. Can Rose put together his first successful healthy season since 2012?
3. Will a Butler exit give Rose a more important role with the team?
4. Does a team want to involve Rose in a Butler trade after his great performance?
5. Would Thibodeau even want to give Rose up, if a trade was offered?